The Comporium Webmail was founded in 1894 by John Anderson, John Cherry, and Andrew Smith. Its headquarters are based in Rock Hill, South Carolina. During its initial days, this company installed 27 phone lines. However, in the next two decades, Paul Workman and his aunt grew to 443 phones before they sold their company to E.L. and Mary Sanders Barnes. Initially, comporium was known as the Rock Hill Telephone Company. But when it is acquired by the E.L. and Mary Sanders Barnes, they change it to a comporium.